Re: Help with libcurses and lynx under NetBSD-9 and -current?

On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 10:07:30PM +0000, RVP wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jan 2021, Brian Buhrow wrote:
>
> > 1.  How do I get pkgsrc/www/lynx to compile using -ncurses instead of the native curses
> > library?  I tried setting various options in /etc/mk.conf, but it looks like  it really wants
> > to compile using the native curses library.  I tried changing options.mk in the pkgsrc
> > directory, but  I apparently don't fully understand the maze of pkgsrc Makefiles.
> >

> I'm not a pkgsrc expert either, but, have a look at:
>
> For ncurses:
> Makefile.common
> http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/pkgsrc/devel/ncurses/Makefile.common?rev=1.47&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
> Add:
> CONFIGURE_ARGS+=	--enable-termcap

That really is just a kludge, it would be much better to get to the
bottom of why the lynx/window combination is misbehaving.

The TERMCAP variable has some severe liitations, the worst being it can
only be 256bytes in size which was more than adequate for a vt100
definition but a modern colour xterm definition simply won't fit in that
space, terminfo does not have these limitations.

--
Brett Lymn
--

"We are were wolves",