Re: Entropy problem [was Re: CVS Problem (again) ,Slightly lesser old code, but old still [was Re: Console problem ,older code]]

On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 06:42:20 -0000 (UTC)
mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost (Michael van Elst) wrote:

> germain.lechapelain%lanvaux.fr@localhost (Germain Le Chapelain) writes:
>
> >This time the crash was in pkg_add itself (=E2=80=98segmentation fault (core=
> > dump)=E2=80=99)
>
> [...] Removing /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.byfile.db and
> rebuilding it with "pkg_admin rebuild" helped.

Thank you kindly for your answer, Mr. van Elst;

Later I came across another email about pkgdb moving from /var/db to /usr/pkg
I also got a message about that later on (trying to build from pkgsrc after using pkg_add)
the message instructed to simply move the db which sounded a bit too good to be true.

After doing so I was getting circular dependencies in cwrappers.
I remember the email/ update -I forgot- had additional instructions regarding something-pkg-2020-10-20 and that was actually part of the error message, but..

.. I figured I should not mix pre-built binary install w/ current code.
Or at least not do so and complain ;)

So I did a blank re-install of current (9.99.76 ?) and I am now back to the earlier problem of the entropy

(Re-included riastradh)

It's building firefox again,

I haven't yet tried any work-around mentioned in the email introducing the change
But I am confused about the issue, why this arises.

I thought the way randomness was implemented is that you would initialize one seed-number to an amd64 and it would pass you back random #s, anytime and at any rate, *guaranteed* to be random, provided that for sure your initial # was random...

Anyways.  I will dig in .. things..
Right now , I am going over https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RDRAND and I am on board with that so far.. :/

Thank you!

Kindest regards,