Re: hang while updating pkg_rolling-replace libvdpau

On Mon, Sep 07, 2020 at 11:40:58PM +0200, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> > It mentions a workaround, but what does it mean to:
> > dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/random bs=32 count=1
> > sysctl -w kern.entropy.consolidate=1
>

> I tried this "quick fix" and then was able to leave the laptop several hours
> upgrading, so indeed it it solves the issue. I suppose this fix needs to
> repeated at every boot?

Usualy not, a variation of it should happen at install time on all systems
not providing a (good enough) random number generator internally. Taylor
is working on covering more systems. Installation will (in the future)
detect this state and offer solutions.

Once the "full entropy" state is reached, it usually persists - on proper
shutdown the seed file is written and restored on next boot.

This is all kind of in flux currently, so there is quite a bit of confusion
and different advices floating around.

Martin