Re: Daily packages for NetBSD/amd64 current

On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 at 08:53, Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%joyent.com@localhost> wrote:

> * On 2020-07-30 at 05:10 BST, Thomas Mueller wrote:
>
> > > I was going to choose 9.0, but I saw that mef@ was already producing
> > > regular bulk builds on that for pkgsrc-current available here:
> >
> > >   https://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/amd64/9.0_current/
> >
> > > so went with NetBSD-current instead, though it's quite unreliable so I
> > > may revisit that choice if every bulk build requires manual
> > > intervention and restarts.
> >
> > > Jonathan Perkin  -  Joyent, Inc.  -  www.joyent.com
> >
> > What is "quite unreliable"?  Do you mean the NetBSD-current base
> > system, or do you mean the ABI that might not hold still, thereby
> > breaking packages following a base-system upgrade?
>
> NetBSD-current.  This shouldn't preclude you or anyone else using it,
> the problems I'm running into are primarily limited to a bulk build
> environment, but does mean that it's quite annoying for those who are
> doing so.

I second that. On my main build host I constantly go through the
cadence of roughly daily -current updates and weekly pkgsrc -current
updates (followed by pkg_rolling-replace); I also run -current on all
machines, bare-metal or virtual, which I use daily; while the system
itself rarely causes problems, the pkgsrc interaction with -current
changes is bound to cause breaks in bulk builds, bits will have to be
sorted out manually from time to time. Setting up such a bulk build
host will no doubt reveal such problems earlier.

> --
> Jonathan Perkin  -  Joyent, Inc.  -  www.joyent.com

Chavdar

--