Re: Unfinished unichrome driver

BTW, we should _not_ remove things from the ALL configs.  The ALL is
supposed to contain "just about everything".  ALL is _never_ guaranteed
to work, or even reliably build!  :)

On Wed, 15 Jul 2020, maya%NetBSD.org@localhost wrote:

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 09:18:09PM +0300, Andrius V wrote:
Hi,

Since my VIA based hardware wasn't attaching a unichrome driver, I decided
to take a look at it. After investigation, I found out that the driver had
been mainly unfinished:
* It matches only one unichrome graphics ID from (CN700 and related
chipsets) and have some hard coded values referencing it here and there
(also, erratically driver refers to graphics from non existent CN900
chipset in few places, including pcidevs, likely CN700 was meant).
* The code itself has definitions for some other unichrome graphics from
CN400, CLE266 (and related) chipsets but not the newer ones
(VX800/VX855/VX900).
* Not included in amd64 ports, similarly to some other VIA specific
hardware drivers.
* It is mentioned in amd64 ALL configuration but without wsdisplay* at
unichromefb?. Likely leftover from i386 and should be removed for now, same
as viadrmums (which causes system to crash in amd64, at least on VX800/900).
* Driver was made compatible with the legacy viadrm driver but it doesn't
seem to work with viadrmums. My system crashed spectacularly once both
enabled.

It successfully attached and booted with higher resolution for me on CN400
unichrome graphics, once I added its ID without any other modifications.
So, I believe, adding support for all unichrome drivers should not be too
hard. Not sure why it was abandoned and what was unfinished though.

So out of that I am planning to create PRs unless someone can look at those:
* Add support for all unichrome graphics (possibly can take a look at
this)...
* Make it compatible with viadrmums as it was with viadrm, if that possible.

Besides that I believe tha viadrmums and unichromefb should be removed from
amd64 ALL kernel configuration, at least for now. And CN900 should be
renamed to CN700 in all places.

Regards,
Andrius V

There's someone working on drm*kms* drivers for VIA graphics hardware
for Linux, and also the X driver. It's a good direction to look for
anyone that is interested.

!DSPAM:5f0fc1f8262394047222629!

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:     |
| (Retired)          | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul%whooppee.com@localhost     |
| Software Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%netbsd.org@localhost   |