Re: File corruption?

Robert Nestor <rnestor%mac.com@localhost> writes:

> Sorry for not being specific.  When I do the shutdown on a subsequent
> reboot all the filesystems are dirty forcing fsck to run.  Sometimes
> it finds some minor errors and repairs them.

ok - I am trying to separate "corruption", which means that files that
were not in the process of being written were damaged, from an unclean
shutdown with the usual non-frightening fixups.

> I’m running xfce4, so when I do the “shutdown -r now” I see xfce4 and
> X exit bringing me back to the console display that was active when I
> booted the system.  As it goes thru the normal shutdown process it
> reaches a point where I get the assertion error (something like
> “uvm_page locked against owner”) followed by a stack trace and then
> quickly followed by the system rebooting.  There is no crash file
> generated.

(Definitely follow ad@'s advice here.)

You can of course exit xfe4 back to console before starting this.

> I haven’t changed any crash parameters from the stock setup.  I seem
> to recall there used to be one for kernel crashes, but can’t find it
> now.  I guess next step is to boot up with the “-d” flag and see if I
> can get something useful.  Is that correct?

See swapctl(8) and fstab(5).  Basically you need to configure a dump
device (almost always the swap device).  swapctl -l is useful.

But, it is likely that after sending ad@ a picture, you won't have to
debug this any more...