Re: Tar extract behaviour changed

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 06:56:57AM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
>     Date:        Wed, 23 Oct 2019 23:30:47 +0200
>     From:        Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost>
>
>   | (1) Abuse of symlinks to shuffle the tree somewhere else. IMO whoever
>   | wants to do that should be using null mounts and deal with it
>   | appropiately in sysinst or whatever on their own.
>
> With that attitude we may as well simply delete symlink support from
> NetBSD and use only null mounts everywhere.   That's not workable at all.

Seriously? We have a well supported mechanism for splitting the base
system across different file systems. It's called mount points. We
support no way to install a system with symlinks in random places, that
has to be done by hand. If a user has such special needs to have such a
special setup with all the associated sources of problems, they can also
manage to update sets by hand and include -P.

>   | For that one [rc.d chroot movements], there are a couple of options:
>   | (a) Move the directories under /etc from base.tgz to etc.tgz.
>
> So updates to the files in them don't happen during an upgrade, or
> don't necessarily happen.

Please read again what I said and take a look at the content of base.tgz.

Joerg