Re: CVS commit: src/usr.sbin/postinstall

On 06/13, Roy Marples wrote:
> On 13/06/2019 09:00, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 06:17:29AM +0300, Valery Ushakov wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > I've been using etcupdate for ages so I only ever really used
> > > postinstall to fix "obsolete" and "catpages".  etcupdate -a has some
> > > kinks and may be we should concentrate on fixing those instead?
> >
> > I *never* used etcupdate, so for me it's better to have a working postinstall
> > (I have a PR about it: install/52349, which may have been fixed by the
> > recent change)
>
> I used etc-update once and accidently overwrote master.passwd
> Never used it since, far too risky.

If etcupdate is far too risky, then something needs to be fixed:
etcupdate or the guide.  Anyone following the guide is very likely to
use it.  In 33.1.4, "Updating the system configuration files"

  https://netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-updating.html#updating-configfiles

it says

  Updating your system's configuration files is done in two
  steps. First, postinstall(8) is used to check and fix things that can
  be easily automated. Afterwards, etcupdate(8) is used to merge the
  remaining configuration file changes.

  ----
  # /usr/sbin/postinstall -s /usr/src check
  # /usr/sbin/postinstall -s /usr/src fix
  # /usr/sbin/etcupdate -s /usr/src
  ----

Lewis