Re: Enabling xdm in sysinst breaks console login?

On Sun, 9 Jun 2019 03:47:26 +0300 Valery Ushakov <uwe%stderr.spb.ru@localhost> wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Jun 2019, John D. Baker wrote:
>
> > I've been wondering what the "constty" device was all about.  I've been
> > afraid to touch it since there's no documentation for it (nor "console"
> > either).  The closest I can get is "tty(4)" and "ttys(5)", but they don't
> > describe any particular attributes of "console" nor how it relates to
> > "constty".

> The thread is here:
>
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-kern/2003/10/03/0008.html

My statement stands, then.  There is no documentation for "constty" nor
"console":

$ apropos constty
apropos: No relevant results obtained.
Please make sure that you spelled all the terms correctly or try using different keywords.

$ apropos console
[lots of irrelevant synopses simply because the word "console" appears
in the manual page.]

$ man 4 console
man: no entry for console in the manual.
$ man 4 constty
man: no entry for constty in the manual.

If it's not in the online (i.e. locally-installed) manual pages, it doesn't
exist.

Even "tty(4)" merely implies the notion of "console"--and only then in
description of the "TIOCCONS" ioctl.

|\ / jdbaker[snail]consolidated[flyspeck]net  OpenBSD            FreeBSD