Re: 8.1; sbin/postinstall 'fix' removes libc.so.12

On Thu, Jun 06, 2019 at 09:16:31PM +1000, Van L wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After the step to 'tar -C / -zxpf sets/xserver.tgz' I have the following
> 3 commands to call to update /etc .  What happens is libc.so is lost and
> once I reboot it it is busted.  This has happened for 8.1-RC and 8.1 now
>
> Can somefix prevent this? Thanks.

Unrelated to this, to recover:

Boot single user (wiht a boot menu, or drop to boot prompt and 'boot-s')
export PATH=/rescue
mount -a # so it's read-write /
this provides ifconfig, route to connect to the internet, and ftp and
tar to unpack a new base.tgz.

Most likely, you had:
libc.so.12.207, libc.so.12.208
From unpacking older sets, you gained a symlink to an older minor:
libc.so.12 -> libc.so.12.207
Postinstall apparently sees, "old minors! I can get rid of it!"

It should probably check that it's not in use.