Re: issues with touchpad after update

On Thu, Dec 06, 2018 at 11:46:50AM +0000, Chavdar Ivanov wrote:
> Just to add my 2c - the Synaptics behaviour on -current has been much much
> better since these recent changes;

Cool :)

> I am not too bothered by the multitouch
> gestures, although two finger scrolling would be nice. These may work, I
> haven't tried changing any hw.synaptics sysctls yet.

Yes, they should work ok now, just make sure you have updated the driver
within the last day or so.

> The random jumps
> towards the bottom-left corner have all but disappeared, for example (these
> happen under Windows 10 also, using the Microsoft precision touchpad
> driver, not the original Synaptics one).

Yes, that was a nasty bug nailed early on - there was jump detection in
the code but it only checked one direction, wrapping the jump size in an
abs() made things a lot better.

> I am not aware if we have some support for accelleration. It is a bit
> annoying, it takes 3-4 full drags on the touchpad to cross the screen
> diagonally. Anyway, I stopped attaching a mouse to my laptop when I boot
> into NetBSD.

Yes - the defaults make the cursor slow for me too.  It would suggest
playing with:

hw.synaptics.scale_x
hw.synaptics.scale_y

The lower the numbers the faster the cursor will move.  I set both of
them to 4 in my sysctl.conf - the defaults are 16.  I am guessing they
were set back in the days when the trackpad resolutions were a lot
lower.  I think it would be wise to leave the defaults as they are on
the basis it is better to have a slow mouse initially and give people
the control to increase the speed rather than have a cursor zipping all
over the screen making it impossible to use.

--
Brett Lymn
"We are were wolves",