Re: progress(1) and "*.tar.xz" sets

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 12:58:52PM -0500, John D. Baker wrote:
> Has any consideration been given to augmenting the 'progress(1)' utility
> to handle more compression formats than just "gzip"?
>
> When updating, I have been in the habit of using something like:
>
>   for file in foo.tgz bar.tgz ; do
>     progress -ezf $file tar xpf - -C /targetdir
>   done
>
> With the upcoming move to "xz" compression for release sets in -current,
> it would be nice to let 'progress' handle "xz" decompression so a more-
> or-less accurate ETA and progress bar could be displayed.

I just changed gzip to support -l on .xz files (originally because sysinst
would otherwise display error messages).

Now looking at progress(1) it sounds like that change should have been
enough to make your proposal work (at least for progress -zf and tar xf -):

[/tmp] martin@night-owl > progress -zf blah.tar.xz tar xf -

Martin