Re: usbdevices.config

rhialto%falu.nl@localhost (Rhialto) writes:

>adv*    at pci? dev ? function ?        # AdvanSys 1200[A,B], 9xx[U,UA]
>SCSI

>no adv*    at pci? # dev ? function ?        # AdvanSys 1200[A,B], 9xx[U,UA]
>SCSI

It's usually enough to write:

no adv

unless you want to keep the driver and just drop its PCI binding.
You can also kill complete busses like EISA or MCA with a single line.

You still miss to eliminate some new drivers, but IMHO that's better than
refitting drivers that you missed to add, in particular for hot-plug
devices like USB.

N.B. the tool to minimize a config file is sysutils/dmassage. It doesn't
understand includes or 'no' phrases and it obviously also drops drivers
that weren't found by the kernel that created the dmesg. In the end you
still have to manually augment things that you may want to use without
rebuilding the kernel and things like pseudodevices, filesystems or
options are also not handled.

So for me, stripping a copy of GENERIC ended in more work for each update
than using no phrases.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost