Re: HEADS-UP: /bin/sh memory management bug fixes committed

    Date:        Mon, 19 Jun 2017 05:39:28 +0000
    From:        "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6725%twc.com@localhost>

  | I suspect sh bug might have been at fault at least in part for
  | pkg_rolling-replace strange behavior,

That is possible.

  | "make deinstall install".

I generally do pkg_delete rather than make deinstall (had no idea such
an option existed).   But otherwise, right.

  | I have to consider the likelihood that many installed packages will no
  | longer work after updating kernel and userland from 7.99.15 to 7.99.71
  | to 8.99.1 because shared libraries figure to be out of sync.

That should not be a problem, the only things that should need
recompiling are things that depend upon osabi - usually I think that is
far too strict, but in this case there's really no way it can know that
nothing much has changed since (at least high) 7.99.nn versions and 8.99.1

There might be an isolated package that uses one of the rarer libraries
which might have been updated (particularly since 7.99.15) which you can
solve either by recompiling (it, and everything else it depends upon
which also might use the changed library) or you can just copy the
libxxxx.so.N.M file from the old system to the new one (and perhaps
the libxxx.so.N symlink which points at that one - I've never been sure
exactly when that one is used).

Just beware of mixing object files (which includes .so files) compiled
and or linked using different versions of what is intended to be the same
thing.  That leads to havoc.

Apart from that I regularly run ancient compiled packages on newer
systems, NetBSD people generally work very hard to make sure that remains
possible.

In fact, I usually compile all my packages against the N.0 RELEASE version
(for whichever NetBSD version (N) I am using at the time) - that way one
set of binary packages are all that are needed for all systems (of the same
architecture, naturally) whatever actual N.p.q version I actually install on
them.)

kre