Re: NetBSD-current amd64 with dhcpcd connects only partially

Hi Thomas

On 13/06/2017 08:33, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> I tried again with dhcpcd and did worse, then did directly (after ps -aux and killing job number for dhcpcd)
>
> ifconfig re0 inet 192.168.0.4 netmask 255.255.255.0
> route add default 192.168.0.1
>
> and then was successful with "host news.individual.net"
>
> and even
> lynx http://bluegrass.net/  (just for testing)
>
> I was even able to update FreeBSD ports tree (with svn) and netbsd-HEAD src tree (with cvs).
>
> Using dhcpcd or dhclient makes me rusty on directly setting internet interface; any suggestions for improvement on what I did are welcome.
>
> But directly configuring internet interface uncripples an otherwise crippled NetBSD installation.
>
> I think I could also have expressed netmask as 0xffffff00 or ...inet 192.168.0.4/24 ?

None of this actually helps us diagnose or fix any problem with re(4) or
dhcpcd(8) you have encountered.

Steps to help:

  *  Add the debug directive to /etc/dhcpcd.conf, or set it in
     /etc/rc.conf as dhcpcd_flags="-qdM"

  *  Set dhcpcd to log it it's own file if it's a boot up issue
     (as it starts before syslog). Put this in /etc/dhcpcd.conf:
     logfile /var/log/dhcpcd.log
     Then attach this log in a reply

  *  Post the output of these command after running dhcpcd
     dhcpcd -U4 re0
     ifconfig re0
     netstat -nrf inet
     If you can, tell us how this output is wrong vs your expectations.

Thanks

Roy