Re: file corruption

On Fri, Apr 07, 2017 at 06:50:29PM +0100, Patrick Welche wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 07, 2017 at 10:42:20AM -0400, Ian D. Leroux wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 5, 2017, at 08:01, Patrick Welche wrote:
> > > It seems something recentish broke FFS, and WAPBL is blameless...
> >
> > I won't be much use to you, but could you file a PR or keep current-
> > users@ advised of any progress on this?  I'd rather not update my main
> > machine until this is resolved ...
>
> I built a 30 March 2017 10:00 UTC kernel on morden.netbsd.org (so the src
> tree would be OK). Using that kernel on the affected machine, a cvs checkout
> appears to be fine, and 4 simultaneous untarrings of pkgsrc.tar.xz
> produced identical results.
>
> Only one strange observation during all that: scp'ing a 24Mb kernel
> from 2 Apr -current laptop to the machine running the what looks like
> a good 30 March kernel resulted in a 9.1Mb kernel. 2nd scp worked.
>
> So, there are still many possibilities, and it might just be my box...
>
> (Running the /usr/tests after generating the bad cvs checkouts earlier,
> the tests didn't fail in a different way to other setups.)

I am beginning to think this has more to do with network than filesystem:

Given that all seemed well with the 30 Mar kernel, to check I wasn't
being silly, I went back to the "broken" kernel, which is of April
3 vintage.
I did a fresh cvs checkout, and once again saw chunks of binary inside
text files.
I tried the untar 4 copies of pkgsrc simultaneously and compare the results
"test", and it was fine.

Now I booted a kernel built on morden (so not from one of my suspect
source trees) from April 7 code. I did a fresh checkout, and during
checkout, I see:

cvs checkout: warning: unrecognized response `2013-12-11  Balaji V. Iyer  <balaji.v.iyer%intel.com@localhost>' from cvs server
cvs checkout: warning: unrecognized response `' from cvs server
cvs checkout: warning: unrecognized response `  * c-objc-common.h (LANG_HOOKS_CILKPLUS_FRAME_CLEANUP): Remove.' from cvs server
cvs checkout: warning: unrecognized response `  (LANG_HOOKS_CILKPLUS_DETECT_SPAWN_AND_UNWRAP): Likewise.' from cvs server
cvs checkout: warning: unrecognized response `  (LANG_HOOKS_CILKPLUS_CILKPLUS_GIMPLIFY_SPAWN): Likewise.' from cvs server
cvs checkout: warning: unrecognized response `  * c-typeck.c (cilk_install_body_with_frame_cleanup): New function.' from cvs server
cvs checkout: warning: unrecognized response `' from cvs server
cvs checkout: warning: unrecognized response `2013-12-04  Joseph Myers  <joseph%codesourcery.com@localhost>' from cvs server
cvs checkout: warning: unrecognized response `' from cvs server

re0 at pci3 dev 0 function 0: RealTek 8168/8111 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet (rev. 0x07)
re0: interrupting at msi3 vec 0
rgephy0 at re0 phy 7: RTL8169S/8110S/8211 1000BASE-T media interface, rev. 5

(checkout hasn't finished for the "hunt the binary bits" phase)

Cheers,

Patrick