Re: bind -> unbound/nsd

On Aug 18,  1:27pm, gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost (Greg Troxel) wrote:
-- Subject: Re: bind -> unbound/nsd

| Please note that I'm not objecting; I'm just asking for the rationale to
| be articulated.

There are many analyses on the web comparing bind and unbound, here are 3:

http://info.menandmice.com/blog/bid/37244/10-Reasons-to-use-Unbound-DNS
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/53924/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_DNS_server_software

For us though the particular reasons are:

- License change would require us to copy the software and reapply patches.
- We don't have other MPL software in base; this would mean another license.
- Fewer security issues
- Smaller memory footprint for most people, easier to administer.
- New resolver API's (asynchronous etc)
- Modular, simpler, smaller, better auditable
- BSD licensed

And some negatives:
- Crypto is integrated, not optional (although we can fix that)
- Bind libraries are still used by dhcpd
- Needs additional components nsd, openDNSSEC, ldns to match bind's
  functionality

christos