Re: coretemp0: workqueue busy: updates stopped

On Wed, 24 Jun 2015, John D. Baker wrote:

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015, Paul Goyette wrote:

Have you established alarm levels for the coretemp0 sensor?  (You can
show the levels using envstat(8) utility.)

I have not done anything with/to/for "coretemp0".  On this machine,
'envstat' reports:

$ envstat
                     Current  CritMax  WarnMax  WarnMin  CritMin  Unit
[coretemp0]
 cpu0 temperature:    47.000                                      degC

That's the entirety of the 'envstat' output.  Looks a bit strange
compared to some of the other machines I've observed.

Interesting. There are no event limits set, so there should never have been any events queued to the sensor device's workqueue. So I'm unsure how the count got to be non-zero in sme->sme_busy in the first place.

A backtrace would definitely be useful.  It would also be useful to
determine if the sme_events_worker() thread is still running.

If it happens again, I'll be sure to transcribe a backtrace.

Thanks. And if you should find a way to reproduce-it-at-will, that's even better! (Well, I can always hope, can't I?)

There is a rather "interesting" mutex-dance in sme_check_events() about
which I need to think:

	mutex_enter(wq_mutex)
	check for empty wq
	mutex_exit(wq_mutex)

	mutex_enter(global_sysmon_mutex)
	mutex_enter(wq_mutex)
	queue up the wq entries
	mutex_exit(wq_mutex)
	check for low_power condition
	mutex_exit(global_sysmon_mutex)

I'm pretty sure this can be reduced a bit:

	mutex_enter(global_sysmon_mutex)
	mutex_enter(wq_mutex)
	check for empty wq

	queue up the wq entries