Re: Help needed with stubborn Gateway box!

On Fri, 27 Mar 2015, Bob Nestor wrote:

Is this boot problem being caused by Microsoft's suggestion that OEMs
should implement Secure Boot in UEFI for Windows 8?  My understanding
is they're making it mandatory for Windows 10 to try and lock out
other OSes from being installed.

There should be an option in Windows 8.1 that allows you to control
Secure Boot, enabling or disabling it.  I was able to find this
reference:

 http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/17058-secure-boot-enable-disable-uefi.html

If this is indeed the problem I hope someone with UEFI knowledge comes
up with a way around this by the time WIndows 10 comes out and OEMs
are locking the hardware to it.

Thanks for the reference - this actually sounded promising.

Unfortunately, this seems not to be the problem. The BIOS settings on this box look just like the ones that the article shows for "Acer PCs", and the Secure Boot option is already disabled.

| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |