Re: Is there some work on a official/preinstalled Desktop for NetBSD?

Hi,

Jose Luis Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
Jeremy C. Reed began a desktop based on lubuntu/lxde ;
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-desktop/2012/06/02/msg000154.html,
but I haven't seen any mail about progress of this.

Is someone working on this or other desktop?
I work on GNUstep, which, with windowmaker, works quite well for me. I strive for a good NetBSD (and generally BSD) support. I have it running fine with NetBSD on a ThinkPad T600 with a plain ol' pentium or on mini-computers with Vortex. It needs a bit of ram (> 64Mb) if you want to use GWorkspace and not just some apps. I would say that NetBSD and FreeBSD support is on par with Linux with all major applications, with OpenBSD being just slightly behind in features but not stability. Finally not something only "linux-centric" and you can run it without d-bus and other hundreds of daemons and deps.

I don't know the current state of NetBSD Packages but it compiles easily and all dependencies are available as packages.

Riccardo

GNUstep maintainer and developer.