Re: Debugging kernel memory allocation

On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 9:03 AM, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih%hamartun.priv.no@localhost> wrote:
I'm trying to track down a problem that's been getting worse as my Dell
2850 main home server has been getting more loaded down with work.  From
time to time, the machine will lock up temporarily: it doesn't respond
to ICMP ECHO, and it doesn't echo characters typed on the console.  It
will sit like that for three or four minutes, and then continue
running.  Nothing is logged, other than messages that are consequences
of the hang.

I'm glad you're looking into this because my 2850 is still stalling occasionally, too. Shutting off the drive's write cache improved, but didn't solve, the situation. Unfortunately, one of the machines is being used in a manner that I can't trigger the disruptions without annoying the people that rely on it. I have another identical machine as a backup, so if there's something you want me to try, I can test it on that machine.

I'm still running 6.1.4, by the way. Once NetBSD7 is released, I was going to try it, in hopes that the problem was fixed. But since you're running -current, those hopes have disappeared.

--
Rich