Re: a separate build of libc

On Sun, 21 Sep 2014, u-6hol%aetey.se@localhost wrote:
might be some "restrictions/assumptions" nobody might have noticed or be willing to fix?

Exactly. More often than not I happen to notice arbitrary restrictions and assumptions which people tend to perceive as natural.

One of the assumptions in the NetBSD build system is that you have the entire source tree and intend to build it all, or that you will manually build some subsets in an appropriate order to satisfy dependencies. For example, if you don't build it all, then you will at least need to build (some) includes and (some) libraries before building applications.

Another important assumption is that the build is run on a host with a unix-like file system (hierarchical directory tree, with "/" as a directory separator, with atomic rename, with long file names), with several unix-like tools (cp, ln, mv, mkdir, echo, etc.), with a compiler and host include files and host libraries that allows "build.sh tools" to work. If you have a host that is mostly unix-like, but where build.sh tools fails, then I think NetBSD will be interested in fixing that.

--apb (Alan Barrett)