a separate build of libc

Background:

  building an independent/standalone toolchain able to produce binaries
  runnable on NetBSD
  (note, this is not the same as compiling or cross-compiling "NetBSD")

The component:

  libc

A small practical question:

  Where does machine/asm.h come from, given the NetBSD source sets as
  the starting point?

Presumably it is possible to find out the answer by analysing the
"build.sh" tool but the named tool is possibly not the (only) definition
of the structure/interrelations of the concerned data?

A deeper question:

  What would be the minimal initial data (source) to be able to recreate
  a working NetBSD libc? I get the impression that the data is widely
  scattered across different file trees and source sets, my goal
  is now to identify the relevant subset of "the whole".

To better describe what I have in mind, I might refer to the source archive
of musl Linux libc, which includes everything (including all includes :)
that is needed for the build, as a single archive of less than 1MB.
The compiler and linker to be used do not have to be platform-specific
beyond the capability to build executables in a format understandable
by the target kernel.

I don't see that there is any similar abstraction for NetBSD libc yet (?).
It would be pretty useful.

Anybody who can/would answer the questions above?

Regards,
Rune