Re: Problems and questions on 7.99.1

Thomas Mueller wrote:
>Following the corrruption of my USB-stick installation of
>NetBSD-current amd64 (6.99.44), I used my USB-stick installation of
>NetBSD-6.99.44 i386, base system with no packages, to build and
>install NetBSD-current amd64 and i386 on two hard drive partitions
>(GPT).

How did you install NetBSD on the two partitions ?

>Even with 32 MB RAM, building userland and GENERIC kernel, including
>native X, took from 16:10:00 UTC to 21:26:21 on Mon Aug 11 to build
>for amd64 and 9:44:18 to 14:06:42 on Aug 12 to buid for i386.
>
>I realize that from i386 without PAE, I had effectively 4 GB RAM, not 32 GB.

You will have less than 4GB, various devices on the PCI bus will claim
some of it.

>I set up nonroot account and found I could not access man page because
>file in /tmp could not be created, permission denied, but it worked
>when I made /home/arlene/mydir and export TMPDIR=/home/arlene/mydir
>(nonroot user here being arlene).

Check the permissions on /tmp.

>I also could not startx because of permissions problem on /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

>I never had this particular problem before on any multiuser OS:
>NetBSD, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD.

>Has anybody else noticed this?

Nope.

The X server should be setuid root, it will then be able to write the log
file.

% ls -l /usr/X11R7/bin/Xorg
-rws--x--x  1 root  wheel  2528297 Aug 11 21:04 /usr/X11R7/bin/Xorg

>I could startx as root, only with DRMKMS, but mouse was dead (not
>detected), though I was able to set up a surrogate mouse with
>x11/xkbset from pkgsrc.

% ls -l /dev/wsmouse
crw-------  1 root  wheel  65, 0 Apr 12  2012 /dev/wsmouse

If your X server isn't setuid root then it won't be able to open the
mouse device file.

Do you see your mouse listed in /var/run/dmesg ?

Check the ownership and permissions on what you copied to your hard disk
partitions.

Robert Swindells