Re: Missing files in DESTDIR- NetBSD version increment problem?

On Sun, 03 Aug 2014, William D. Jones wrote:
I've been attempting to build a generic i386 kernel for the past two nights, updating CVS in between failures. In all cases, I am receiving errors of extra and missing files- specifically, I have 378 extra files in DESTDIR, and am also missing 376 files in DESTDIR. Except for two extra files ./usr/lib/liblua.so.1 and ./usr/lib/liblua.so.1.0, the extra files take the form of ./stand/i386/6.99.47/modules. The missing files have the same names, but the directory the reside under- 6.99.49 instead of 6.99.47- is missing. Same thing happened yesterday, except the version was .48 instead of .47

The new directory and files in ${DESTDIR}/stand/<new_version> are supposed to be created during the main part of the build. The old files in ${DESTDIR}/stand/<old_version> are supposed to be deleted by the call to postinstall-fix-obsolete_stand under "make distribution" in src/Makefile.

The postinstall-fix-obsolete_stand code is fairly new, so there could be something wrong with it, but even before that code was added, the failure mode was that you ended up with extra files in stand/<old_version>, but not with missing files in stand/<new_version>. If you have missing files in stand/<new_version> then I think something else is wrong.

Presumably, this is a kernel version mismatch, but why isn't the directory which holds kernel modules between versions being created by build.sh?

It should be created. See the list of _INST_DIRS in src/share/mk/bsd.kmodule.mk.

(Important note- I AM using the same destdir between builds at the various steps)

As long as the builds are all for the same MACHINE/MACHINE_ARCH then I think that's OK.

Is there any particular step I'm missing that I should be doing after version increments to prevent failed builds in this manner? This version mismatch happens regardless of whether I pass "-u" to ./build.sh or not.

I don't know what's going wrong for you. I am pretty sure it works for me, though it's been some time since I tried a MKUPDATE build (a.k.a. build.sh -u) across a kernel version change.

What are the exact build.sh commands that you use?

--apb (Alan Barrett)