Re: HEADS UP: arm ports now building EABI by default

Jeff Rizzo <riz%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> As discussed here over the last few weeks, I have just switched the
> default builds for most ARM ports to their EABI variants ("earm"
> MACHINE_ARCH).  The old ABI can be built, if desired, by either
> explicitly supplying "arm" instead of "earm" as the MACHINE_ARCH to
> build.sh using the -a flag, or by building the appropriate OABI target
> alias (hpcoarm, oshark, ocats, evboarm-el, etc).
>
> The builds on releng.n.o for 03 August 2014 (UTC) and later will
> reflect these changes.

I just updated and built, and got

ERROR: No MACHINE_ARCH provided
*** BUILD ABORTED ***
ERROR: './build.sh -m evbarm -j8 -x -u -U -O /usr/obj/gdt-current/evbarm
-T /usr/obj/gdt-current/tools -D /usr/obj/gdt-current/destdir/evbarm -R
/usr/obj/gdt-current/releasedir -X /u0/n0/gdt/NetBSD-current/xsrc
release' failed

so I have a few questions:

1) This is with passing -m but not -a.   I see in BUILDING that evbarm is
basically not allowed as -m without -a, and this is a change from
before.  Perhaps a note belongs in updating.

2) Why doesn't evbarm default to the endianness that everybody wants to
use?  My impression is that there is a standard endianness, and that
it's sufficiently standard that I am so far ignorant of which it is,
even though I've booted netbsd on a rpi.

3) BUILDING doesn't address the eabi/oabi in the examples.  Maybe that's
ok, but I don't see it in http://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/evbarm/

(This is not directed at you; I realize this is soemthing that needed
addressing pre-branch.)