Re: Preparation for creating netbsd-7 branch

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 01:15:29AM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> Well, if you only read the quoted sentence and
> you are claiming about i386 to amd64 migration,
> please implement it in sysinst as you like.
>
> The problem discussed here is arm to earm (or its variant).

Yes, the problem is real and should be solved in release documents or
in sysinst.

There are basically two options, IMHO:

 - provide everything we did release in netbsd-6 as arm and earm variant,
   document how to manually upgrade from old to eabi (it is usually not
   very hard to do, and many people will prefer "all pkgs new" over "move
   all old libs to /compat)

 - minimize the number of binary sets we create for -7 and add support to
   sysinst to do a proper upgrade (this is not rocket science, but not
   exactly trivial either)

When going with the first option, we should (a) urge new users to use earm
variants, and (b) declare deprecation of old abi in the next release.

Martin