Re: Preparation for creating netbsd-7 branch

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2014/07/21/msg025327.html
>> We probably don't have the ressources for providing binaries
>> for each {,e}arm{,hf} variants.

> IMO, non-earm ABI builds should be dropped in favour of earm and a
> subset of evbarm earm variants should be made available.
>
> Something (build.sh/wiki/both) can document each evbarm board to the
> correct MACHINE_ARCH variant based could then be provided.
>
> build.sh already contains useful information here
>
> zoom$ grep earm /usr/src/build.sh
> MACHINE=cats            MACHINE_ARCH=earmv4     ALIAS=ecats
> MACHINE=evbarm          MACHINE_ARCH=earm       ALIAS=evbearm-el
> MACHINE=evbarm          MACHINE_ARCH=earmeb     ALIAS=evbearm-eb
> MACHINE=evbarm          MACHINE_ARCH=earmhf     ALIAS=evbearmhf-el
> MACHINE=evbarm          MACHINE_ARCH=earmhfeb   ALIAS=evbearmhf-eb
> MACHINE=evbarm          MACHINE_ARCH=earmv4     ALIAS=evbearmv4-el
> MACHINE=evbarm          MACHINE_ARCH=earmv4eb   ALIAS=evbearmv4-eb
> MACHINE=evbarm          MACHINE_ARCH=earmv5     ALIAS=evbearmv5-el
> MACHINE=evbarm          MACHINE_ARCH=earmv5eb   ALIAS=evbearmv5-eb
> MACHINE=evbarm          MACHINE_ARCH=earmv6     ALIAS=evbearmv6-el
> MACHINE=evbarm          MACHINE_ARCH=earmv6hf   ALIAS=evbearmv6hf-el
> MACHINE=evbarm          MACHINE_ARCH=earmv6eb   ALIAS=evbearmv6-eb
> MACHINE=evbarm          MACHINE_ARCH=earmv6hfeb ALIAS=evbearmv6hf-eb
> MACHINE=evbarm          MACHINE_ARCH=earmv7     ALIAS=evbearmv7-el
> MACHINE=evbarm          MACHINE_ARCH=earmv7eb   ALIAS=evbearmv7-eb
> MACHINE=evbarm          MACHINE_ARCH=earmv7hf   ALIAS=evbearmv7hf-el
> MACHINE=evbarm          MACHINE_ARCH=earmv7hfeb ALIAS=evbearmv7hf-eb
> MACHINE=hpcarm          MACHINE_ARCH=earm       ALIAS=hpcearm
> MACHINE=iyonix          MACHINE_ARCH=earm       ALIAS=eiyonix
> MACHINE=netwinder       MACHINE_ARCH=earmv4     ALIAS=enetwinder
> MACHINE=shark           MACHINE_ARCH=earmv4     ALIAS=eshark
> MACHINE=zaurus          MACHINE_ARCH=earm       ALIAS=ezaurus
> zoom$
>

> The evbarm board information can be derived from
>
> http://nxr.netbsd.org/xref/src/etc/etc.evbarm/Makefile.inc
>
> Building all arm ports for acorn32 compatibility is madness.

I know it has possible combinations.

My first question is

 "Which MACHINE_ARCH should be used for each arm port on the next release"

It's non-technical, but probably determined by marketing and resources.
Ramdom comments won't help to get a proper conclusion, I'm afraid.

> >> I don't know how you got from Matt's statement to your question. I think
> >> there are solutions here.
> > Where?
> >
> > There is no upgrade path from i386 to amd64 in sysinst.
> > (we only had a.out to ELF)
>
> Someone(tm) needs to add it. SMOP, right?

Yes.  It isn't a technical issue either.

My question to releng/core is

"What should be done for the NetBSD 7.0 release?"

I'm afraid we can't solve the issue until
the target branch  (or even release) date
without proper plan.

---
Izumi Tsutsui