VIA Chrome vs vesa--VT switch, but no graphics.

Trying to work around xsrc/48317 by using the "vesa" driver instead of
the default "openchrome" driver.  Using NetBSD/i386-6.99.25 on NeoWare
thin client with VIA Chrome CLE266.

The X server starts, switches to the designated Virtual Terminal, but
never engages graphics mode.  The display is left with a solid block
text cursor at the upper left corner.  Once done, it appears that one
can switch VTs, but the display is not restored.  I've only been able
to regain control of the machine by (blindly) dropping to DDB and re-
booting.

Afterwards, examining the "Xorg.0.log" file appears to indicate that
the server thinks it is operating properly.

I need to investigate whether the machine's BIOS offers any configuration
items for the video adapter.  Fortunately, the machine has a real serial
port so I can use a serial console to observe the behavior.  I'll try to
do that soon.

Anyone successfully using the vesa driver on a Chrome/UniChrome-based
system?

Thanks.