Re: /etc/ttys defaults, was Persistent green messages interrupting console on NetBSD 6.99.19 i386

On 2013-06-05 12:01, Martin Husemann wrote:
On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 11:53:32AM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
How can that be a bug in etcupdate? All etcupdate tries to do is match
/etc to what an /etc would look like on a virgin system.

The question is: what do we define as a virgin system? The contents
of etc.tgz only have parts of that, our default installation creates
a few more files "on the fly" and touches some of the existing ones.
I consider that part of a default install.

etcupdate runs the build system to create an /etc, and then works against that as the reference. I believe that is as reasonable as it ever could be.

I bet etcupdate does not delete /etc/resolv.conf for example, but this
is kindof a provocative stretch.

I don't think etcupdate ever deletes anything. It just checks against the reference, and files that have been changed, or which only exists in the reference are the files worked on.

What I meant is: some changes to /etc/ttys are special and need special
treatement by etcupdate - on/off, speed changes for serial devices, maybe
more should never be merged.

etcupdate never do anything on its own. It shows when there are diffs, and then it asks you for action. You can ignore the diff, install the "original", merge the two, or do any kind of editing for each difference etcupdate identifies.

        Johnny