Re: Modular X broken

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 04:42:01PM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 02:12:00PM +0300, Jukka Ruohonen wrote:
> > The recent modular-X11 updates broke the Intel-driver at least for the
> > 945G/M-chipsets that have worked continuously for four years. Was these
> > changes even tested on NetBSD? I recall a reason why xf86-video-intel was
> > deliberately kept behind, but can't remember the details.
>
> They were compile-tested only.
>
> We had to get to a newer version of X. The version of Mesa was chosen
> so it still had the backwards compat we needed. There's no way a
> single developer can test all X servers, so we need help here.

There was a "need" to get a new X even though it is known to cause
regressions?  This is quite unfortunate since the Intel 945-965 is probably
the most popular chipset among the laptops that actually currently work in
NetBSD (the KMS etc. mess notwithstanding).  So prepare for new bug reports
and more angry people with unsolveable problems with this supposedly needed,
compile-tested update.

> Worst case, there's always the X server in base which is supposed to
> work too, or the vesa driver.

True enough; I since reverted to the base-X too. The fundamental problem
however remains.

- Jukka.