Re: dhc* in NetBSD 7.0

    Date:        Wed, 27 Mar 2013 13:00:18 +0000
    From:        Roy Marples <roy%marples.name@localhost>

  | This actually works!
  |
  | You add "denyinterfaces *" to dhcpcd.conf to stop ....

Ah, great, I will try that a little later and see how well it functions,
this will make my config simpler for sure.

  | So the only modification you need to make I think is to get dhcpcd to
  | start before rc.d/network

That's a trivial mod to the REQUIRE and BEFORE lines in /etc/rc.d/dhcpcd
so that one ie easy.

  | That's the thing - dhcpcd is dynamic by nature, works by default for
  | hotplugged interfaces such as your usb wireless.

Yes, I knew that.    But with "denyinterfaces *" I assume it is
going to need to be told to start on the new interface - but that's
what ifwatchd is good for (or should be).

  | You can even configure in dhcpcd.conf per ssid options

That one I didn't know, but ...

  | So I disagree with your assessment that dhcpcd.conf isn't ideal for
  | this.

I didn't mean to say that it couldn't be done (I had no idea), but that
I don't think it is the right place, almost everything could be dumped into
dhcpcd.conf and made to work, but that doesn't mean it is (always) the best
solution.

I know I can have dhcpcd statically configure addresses (etc) but that just
seems perverse to me - it is hardly the job of a dhcp client to avoid dhcp
after all - it is easier, cleaner, and more in line with tradition (and so
with what other people expect to see when they look at the config) to simply
configure the addresses with ifconfig, rather than adding config to dhcpcd
in order for it to do the job.

But in any case, I'm not sure you quite understood what I meant, it isn't
that I want to configure the wireless differently when I see one or another
ssid on it, rather, I want to use the detected ssid on the wireless interface
to change the configuration of other interfaces (when the ssid tells me I am
at work, I change the way I configure the wired interface, when the ssid
tells me I am at home, I do a different type of wired network config, and
when the ssid is at some strange unknown place, I generally don't want the
wired network configured (by default) at all.

Thanks.

kre