releng usb boot images and a pre-existing raid root fs

I have a HP Microserver which has been quietly running 5.99.56 (amd64)
for about 15 monthsand
decided it was time to run something a bit more recent. I burnt a recent
amd64 installation image
from releng on to a usb stick and booted it. I was slightly suprised
when it didn't come up with a
sysinst install menu and instead came up inmultiuser, executing all the
stuff in rc.conf. uname -a
showed it was running the later release. What seemed to happen is the
install kernel came up and
thoughtitwas booting from the raid and mounted that as root and carried
on regardless. I thought
I may get around this by dropping out of the boot menu and using -as to
force root to be the
memory disk, butthe USB keyboard seemed to be unresponsive to typing. A
i386 install kernel behaved
 in the same way, butunsuprisingly croaked when it tried to exec the
64bit /sin/initoff the raid. The same
 image seemed to comeup in the installer with a non-raided diskon
another system.

So is there an issue with the installation images getting confused when
a pre-existing installation has
a raided root partition?

Dave

Phone: 07805784357