Recent kernel crashes at shutdown

I having been running 6.99.16 on a i386 desktop system using the releng
snapshot from 28th January. Its been completely stable and I have been
using it with XFCE4 with no problems until today. I added a bunch of
extra packages and started them from rc.conf. On shutting down the
system it paniced with an assertion failure:

 Feb 11 19:58:11 darkstar savecore: reboot after panic: panic: kernel
assertion "lwpcnt >= 0" failed: file
info.c", line 217

$NetBSD: kern_uidinfo.c,v 1.7 2012/06/09 02:55:32 christos Exp $

This happened just after swap and the shutdown hooks had been run.
Sometimes the system hangs, but mostly it takes a dump and reboots. A
bit of investigation showed that if HAL is running then the system will
crash, but if it isn't then shutdown proceeds OK.

I tried with the latest releng kernel from 10th Feb and that exhibits
the same issue.

kernel which first showed the problem:

NetBSD 6.99.16 (GENERIC) #0: Mon Jan 28 16:05: 30 UTC 2013

I have core dumps from the crash on both the Jan 28/Feb 10 kernels if

Worth a PR ?