Re: how ok is NetBSD (-6) with an ext2fs root fs?

Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost> writes:

> gdt@ wrote:
>
>> I have a NetBSD-6 system with a P2020 (evbpcc architecture, but a custom
>> board), and because U-Boot doesn't grok ffs or bsd disklabels, it would
>> be convenient to run the system with an ext2fs root.
>
> Isn't it enought to have small ext2fs (or FAT) partition to put
> a kernel (or native bootloader) to be loaded by U-Boot
> and have FFS root file system that can be recognized by the kernel?
> arc and cobalt (and some evbarm boards) use such strategy.

Apparently most of U-Boot deals with disklabels, but parts of the custom
U-Boot doesn't.  But as I understand it you are right in general.

>> Have people run systems with ext2fs as the root fs?  On big-endian
>> machines, and ppc?   How did it work?
>
> It's better to file a PR how it did NOT work,
> otherwise the answer was "it should work."

Sure, but I was trying to ask if people had really pushed on ext2fs/root
and been happy.

> I had checked ext2fs on sgimips and root on ext2fs on i386,
> but not BE + rootfs.

Thanks.  I think so far it's working.  I'll try to post a followup in a
month or so.