Re: diskless systems forget how to go multiuser?

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012, Matthias Drochner wrote:

"John D. Baker" <jdbaker%mylinuxisp.com@localhost> wrote:
on some subsequent boot, 'init' takes
a very long time to decide what to do and then behaves as if it had
been told to run in single-user mode (prompt user for shell).  It then

I've seen that too. This seems to be a permission thing. For me, this
happens if I was logged in as nonprivileged user on the console at the
time of reboot.

If I remember correctly, it started after some event prompted a
forced reboot or power-cycle.  In each case, I was logged in on
the console.  I was actually in the process of enabling wscons on
the i386 system and on the Yeeloong I wasn't sure of wscons support.
I was logged in as an unprivileged user at the time.

For me, it helps to do "chown root /dev/console".

I'll give that a try.

I haven't seen a recent change to /sbin/init, nor anything
suspicious in /etc/rc.d. Looks like the kernel is to blame.

That might explain the complaints about "permission denied" that
'ttyflags' emits for /dev/console, /dev/tty00, and dev/tty01 when
/etc/rc is being run.