Re: Sysinst default root login shell

On 2012-04-12 08.44, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
David Holland<dholland-current%netbsd.org@localhost>  writes:

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 09:36:25AM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
  >  >It may have never occured to you if you have grown with csh in time
  >  >when it did have features absent elsewhere. These days the situation
  >  >is reverse. csh is neither more capable nor more useful. It is not
  >  >merely different either. It is alien. User reaction to csh is
  >  >definite, they try to change it, and if the latter is not possible
  >  >the first command they type after login is this:
  >  >
  >  >bash

I still don't understand why anyone wants to specifically run bash.
But anyway...

Bash is a safe harbour for them; when they find the current shell is broken
they want to get something safe explicitly.

By that argument, we should not have sh as the shell for root either, but bash. There are a number of surprising incompatibilities between sh and bash...

  >  So I guess you are constantly logged in to root, and do all your
  >  work there. Furthermore, you indiscriminately copy-paste complex
  >  shell scripts to your prompt, instead of having them in a file.

The behavior/interface of your root environment should match the
behavior/interface of your normal environment as much as possible, to
reduce the chance of making expensive mistakes.

In ideal world, sure. In reality one has to deal with what is out there,
thus users who have ash, ksh, or bash as their normal environment
(or at least know it to some degree) have to perform complex tasks on
systems with csh as hardwired choice.

You know, any person who is not a total illiterate have little problem changing their shell, or the shell of the root user. There is nothing that force you to keep the default.

This whole request to change the default shell of root is really stupid, for various reasons. And the arguments for doing the change are so weird I can't relate to them.

Like I said, I guess I can't be bothered. I've given up. This ain't BSD anymore, except for the deceptive name. And I've run out of energy trying to improve the world. I'll just recommend anyone who ask me to just go and install Linux instead, since it's at least coherent in its brokenness.

        Johnny