Re: Sysinst default root login shell

On 11 April 2012 11:18, Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola%libero.it@localhost>
wrote:
> Hi,

This is getting almost ridiculous - see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_many_angels_can_dance_on_the_head_of_a_pin
 .

> Johnny Billquist wrote:
>>

>> So I guess you are constantly logged in to root, and do all your work
>> there. Furthermore, you indiscriminately copy-paste complex shell scripts to
>> your prompt, instead of having them in a file.
>>
>> I guess I'll continue to disagree, but then again I disagree with a lot of
>> things happening today, so I'll probably just give up on this. Where can one
>> find a proper BSD system these days?

I thought all those years ago that the question about csh has been
resolved once and forever by Tom Christiansen -
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/csh-whynot/ . I used to write
csh scripts and use csh circa that time (1991-1995), being forced to
do it by local policy, but managed to avoid it, switching to
sh/ksh/zsh/ksh93 depending on the system. Nowadays I always switch
root's shell to ksh or keep /bin/sh as the default shell if I intend
to install zsh (in which case the first command I give is 'exec
/usr/pkg/bin/zsh'). I used to have '!!' and '!<num>' hardwired to my
fingers, but managed to forget them (similarly now <esc>. is hardwired
to invoke the last arg of the prev command and I cannot stand zsh mods
which overwrite it). Anyway, I *think* /bin/csh should still be kept
in base for historical reasons, no tcsh can save it, no apologies to
Bill Joy. Root's default shell in my view should be /bin/sh, which is
good enough even for interactive work on NetBSD (I don't know about
multibyte stuff).

> :) ... csh should be the default fro root and each user! But also OpenBSD
> betrayed its roots.
>
> What I do wonder howver is why for csh (like root currently) autocompletion
> is not turned on. History neither (well, that perhaps for security
> reasons?). I always need to remember to enable it, or I hit "esc" or "!!"
> without success...
>
> But as a user I always use tcsh. It has the correct way of piping stderr and
> stdout (bash? come on) but is handier for editing once all your temrinal
> emulation is set up.. like cursor keys, etc.

I don't know a lot about bash; in the early years I remember having
some problems with it, so I dismissed it at the time. I am not aware
of any problem piping stderr and stdout with ksh or zsh; not thinking
which of those I am using, I write ' $ some command 2>&1 | tee
file.out' or similar.

> Riccardo

Chavdar

--