Re: X11 server lock-up and garbage on the screen

riccardo.mottola%libero.it@localhost (Riccardo Mottola) writes:

>2) the "freeze" is only local. I cannot switch consoles, no keyboard
>response, but telnet connection remain active and I can even restart X11
>and it will work.

The freeze is only in the display, neither X nor wscons can restore
a sane display mode. There is a small chance that vbetool from pkgsrc
can do that.

>UVM: pid 907 (LaternaMagica), uid 1000 killed: out of swap

That's what kills your application.

Like other OOM-killers, ours need to take a guess on which process
to kill. Apparently it prefers the application instead of the X server.

>I wonder why the app gets killed for out of swap while the problem
>appears to be the X server! And if run with an exported display, nothing
>gets killed.

Your X server probably needs memory as well, and both, application
and X are together too large. There may be also side-effects from using
shared memory transport or maybe DRI (DRI is only for the local display).

>When run on an exported display, the top says for LaternaMagica:
>   322 multix    85    0    68M   56M select     0:06  0.00%  0.00%
>LaternaMagic

The interesting part is: how large is the X server before it crashes.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost