Re: automatic stacktrace on panic, was: Re: Boot fail as kvm guest

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012, Marc Balmer wrote:

Am 17.02.12 14:16, schrieb Hubert Feyrer:
On Fri, 17 Feb 2012, Marc Balmer wrote:
I think NetBSD should add a stack trace on panics automatically...

Can't that be achieved using ddb.commandonenter ?
Or should a ddb.stacktrace sysctl variable be introduced for this?

Whatever one, it should be on by default.
Each time we have to ask people to give us information, this is suboptimal.

So what is the best way (I am now collecting opinions)?

1) Introduce a new sysctl ddb.stacktrace, which is on by default
2) Set ddb.commandonenter to 'bt' by default
3) Do it like OpenBSD and yell at the users in an all-capslock message

Can we also get the per-CPU data by default?

Because of the number of commands that would be required, I would think that option 1 is best.

| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |