multiple wm on same card?

I have a machine (totally unrelated to my previous query) that has 2
quad Intel GigE NICs, and thus 8 wm interfaces.  With septemberish

  using 1 wm on each quad card works fine

  trying to use 2 wms on a card provokes a hard lockup, usually right

so I am guessing there is something wrong in the wm driver with
locking/interrupts, perhaps some card-global data structure or something
to do with sharing an interrupt line.   4-port bnx cards work fine.

We will try current, but there is some panic in the USB code attaching a
keyboard (almost surely unrelated).

Any clues?