Re: gdb cannot read kernel crash dump

On 8/18/11 3:33 AM, J. Hannken-Illjes wrote:
On Aug 17, 2011, at 11:06 PM, Julio Merino wrote:

Hello,

My virtual machine running amd64 -current just crashed and rebooted
while building a set of packages.  I found a crash dump in /var/crash
and attempted to load it with gdb (after gunzipping it, of course), but
gdb complains:

netbsd# gdb -q netbsd.1 netbsd.1.core
(no debugging symbols found)
"/var/crash/netbsd.1.core" is not a core dump: File format not recognized
(gdb)

Might this have been caused by gcc 4.5 changes?

Thanks.

What if you use
        gdb netbsd.1
        target kvm netbsd.1.core
instead?

Heh, "of course".  I had forgotten that and only tried the obvious.  Thanks.

That said, this does not look right:

$ sudo gdb netbsd.1
GNU gdb 6.5
[...]
(gdb) target kvm netbsd.1.core
#0  0x00000000 in sigcode ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00000000 in sigcode ()

The other crash dumps I've got don't show any useful information either.