Re: raidframe performance question

On Fri, 6 May 2011, Paul Goyette wrote:

As several people pointed out, the poor drive performance was a direct result of using the block device vs raw device. With the raw device I have both drives simultaneously dd'ing at nearly 100M _each_. Erasure is nearly finished now, and I'll be trying to reassemble the raidset tomorrow morning.

I would be curious to know what the write performance is writing to /dev/rwd4e when that partition starts at 63. If the drive does actually have 4K physical sectors and emulates 512 byte sectors, then the writes will be misaligned and will likely have poorer performance.

--
Michael L. Hitch                        mhitch%montana.edu@localhost
Computer Consultant