Re: Looking for NAS Hardware

On 8 April 2011 20:01, Jukka Ruohonen <jruohonen%iki.fi@localhost> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 04:27:28PM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
>> My requirements are basically:
>> . fits 4x 3,5" SATA disks
>> . Gigabit LAN
>> . Low Power (i.e. not a desktop PC)
>> . available :)
>
> "Me too".
>
> But with small modifications to the requirements.
>
>  * Preferably with 2.5" disks (minimum of 3-4).
>  * Preferably off-the-shelf rather than heavy DYI.
>  * Easy, production-ready setup for NetBSD even if non-x86 embedded.
>  * Low power consumption and small factor matter more than performance.
>
> Anything like this in the market?

I guess you could get some small cube style case with 3-4 PCI openings
or 2 5.25" bays and use the mounting kits for putting 2.5" HDDs into
these. It would come out as 6" - 7" cube but you can hardly get
anything smaller with generic off-the-shelf components. It's sad that
you could put the 3.5" drives in that space easily, too.

You can choose any ITX board so you should be able to get something that works.

HTH

Michal