Re: i386/amd64 install CD suddenly much less robust

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 10:48:21PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> It appears someome made sysinst ignore ^Z and restart itself on ^C.

Well, that was probably me - the latter part was intentional, the former
not quite.

> I think it would be good to put this back how it was.

The state before was broken (at least on CDs) in different (and
various) ways. So just putting it back won't fix it, but certainly we
should fix the fallout.

The main reason I started looking at it and shuffling things around was:
if you booted the serial console version (or older framebuffer versions
where we did not do autodetection of the console type), you are asked
to enter a terminal type. At this point you have no easy way to query the
available names (and, on some install media, you have only a very minimalistic
terminfo database available). Now if you enter a wrong name, sysinst fails to
setup curses and imediately exits.

The change in question makes the install script start over from scratch, so
you get another chance to type the correct name. I don't realy think ^C as
a shortcut for "Utils/Run /bin/sh" is that big a loss, but it would be
easy to select the restart behaviour on error status, if needed.

For ^Z I guess the easiest (while still user friendly way) would be to have
sysinst install a handler, clear the screen, print some help text, and run
/bin/sh - but that still is slightly different to what you (as expert user)
expect from SIGSTOP.

I'm open to all ideas.

Martin