Re: raidframe in netbsd-5?

Jeff Rizzo <riz%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:

> On 1/13/11 6:11 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> Sorry if I haven't been paying enough attention, but:
>>
>> A while ago I saw mail that there was some bug in netbsd-5 that caused
>> raidframe autoconfig to fail, rendering systems with root on raid0a on a
>> RAID-1 set (for example) to fail, but I didn't really follow what was
>> going on.
>>
>> Was this true, is it fixed, and when?
>
> There was a period of time when certain older raid sets would not come
> up properly in 5.1_STABLE, but that was addressed a week or two ago.
> 5.1 (release) should be fine, and the most recent snapshots on the
> netbsd-5 branch should be OK as well.  Note that the problems should
> not have caused data loss - merely an inability to use the raid sets.

Thanks very much.  I had the impression is was fail-to-attach and hence
fail-to-boot rather than data loss, but I didn't want to go through
recovering from that unnecesssarily.

And a hat tip to releng@; it's really impressive that this is the first
time in probably 6 years when I was not comfortable to just "update
along stable branch and reboot, no worries", and even this is very minor
and apparently an odd case.  I'll go read the diff when I have a chance.

(Thanks also to people who said it worked on 5.1_RELEASE.   I realized
that and was worried about the 5.1_STABLE issue riz@ points out.)