Re: PAE kernel + modules

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 09:42:36 +0100, Adam Hamsik <haaaad%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
Hi,

I would like to use all of my memory with i386 on my box, I like to
see function arguments in ddb ;). There is  8gb ram which means that
pae is needed. From what I know pae modules are not compatible with
plain i386 ones. How can I build pae modules, or only option is
MONOLITHIC + PAE ? What is preferred way to use both i386-pae and i386
kernels on same system ?

-- "unsafe" way --

Most kernel modules will work, except those that have ABI break because of physical address size promotion (32 => 64 bits). Without surprise, the modules affected are those for device drivers, with bus_dma calls (quick grepping: drm(4) and azalia(4)).

As NetBSD device drivers are not currently extensively modularized, breakage is minimal, except for X server if you use drm.

-- safe way --

Build MONOLITHIC with options PAE

or

Build GENERIC with options PAE
 + export CFLAGS=-DPAE && ./build.sh modules

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost