Re: Strange system behavior

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 08:32:07 -0700 (PDT) Paul Goyette
<paul%whooppee.com@localhost> wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010, Paul Goyette wrote:
>
> > Memory was my first suspicion.  I started with 2x2GB of
> > Kingston.  Then I added 2x2GB of Corsair memory for a total of
> > 8GB.  The problem stayed, so I removed the original Kingston
> > memory leaving only the 2x2G Corsair. Doesn't seem to make any
> > difference - all three result in the same failure symptom.
>
> Well, the story gets more and more and more interesting...  (and
> more expensive, too...)
>
> Since Monday, I have now replaced the entire system, excepting only
> the physical case and fans!  Yes, new power supply, new
> motherboard, new RAM, and new CPU.  I even replaced the hard drive
> and reinstalled NetBSD!  And the darned system STILL fails, in
> exactly the same manner.
>
> I'm totally confused.  :(

1) Did you ever run memtest86? I see no mention of that having been
run.

2) I have a machine that consistently fails while building NetBSD
under NetBSD. It does fine at building NetBSD when running Linux. I
tried reporting the apparent concurrency bugs a long time ago, but
was largely ignored. If (and only if) you run memtest86 for a day and
it passes, try cross-building NetBSD on the box under Linux and see
if it works.

--
Perry E. Metzger                perry%piermont.com@localhost