Re: High performance random-access disk operations (Raidframe?)

On Sat 15 May 2010 at 10:53:20 PM -0400, Chris Ross wrote:

>On May 15, 2010, at 21:59, Matthew Mondor wrote:
>>Some other tips to enhance random read/query performance, depending on
>>your application:
>>
>>If the data set is small enough to fit in RAM and can be volatile (and
>>initial reading to RAM isn't prohibitive), by all means use RAM if
>>possible.  If you can't control the storage format or software, an
>>in-memory FS could be used...
>
>  Nope.  Good advice, but in my case, I'm talking about tens of
>gigabytes for a squid cache, so the dataset is too large for an in-
>memory option.

the fastest disk setup I know of does software raid-0 from a
pair of 4gb fibre interfaces each of which have hardware raid-0 on
the other end (its common in digital movie production). That's an
expensive setup but you may be able to combine software/hardware
raid-0 in a more economical way. eg software raid-0 off a pair of
hardware raid-0 on a 4 channel controller, one box, one raid card,
4 disks.