Build generates broken ELF files

my NetBSD/i386 build using today's source generates broken ELF files:

zsh: exec format error: ./sync
tron@lyssa:/export/scratch/tron/obj/bin/sync>file sync
sync: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically
linked (uses shared libs), for NetBSD 5.99.27, not stripped

Installing a new userland turned the machine into a warm door stopper
and I had to restore it from a backup.

Has anybody else seen this? I'm using "USE_SSP=yes" and "MKDTRACE=yes"
but I don't that matters.

        Kind regards

Matthias Scheler